TK’ASASIL SMAMIM, pronounced “tik-ahs-ahs-eel” “smah-meem”, is *nsyilxcen for “Two Women”.
(Nsyilxcen is the language of the Syilx people).
Tk’asasil Smamim – Two Women Multimedia Corporation was founded in January 2017 by two (2) Indigenous women from the unceded traditional Syilx territory of BC’s Southern Interior and launched in April 2017. Tk’asasil Smamim - Two Women, is a company under the Business Corporations Act of BC as a general partnership between Victoria Jaenig and Mariel Belanger.
The naming of the company was chosen after much deliberation between Victoria Jaenig and Language Speaker/ Cultural Advisor, Richard Armstrong. Using Nsyilxcen in the company name demonstrates the Indigeneity of the company and translating it into English identifies the female leadership of the multimedia corporation, allowing both messages prominently displayed in identifying who we are and what we do!
Tk'asasil Smamim - Two Women Multimedia will bridge Indigenous communities through story and multimedia.
MISSION STATEMENTTk’asasil Smamim – Two Women releases and creates multimedia projects and programming relating to Indigenous people, places, perspectives and worldviews or women’s perspectives, roles, issues, stories and/ or content including but not limited to:
- Digital video production;
- Feature film;
- Television segments; &
- Social media/ web/ smart phone apps;
- TS-TW is committed to releasing quality, professional projects, products and programming;
- TS-TW will uphold Indigenous protocols in areas including but not limited to the organizational development, artistic direction and expression & community outreach or engagement;
- TS-TW promotes a position or the voices of women, Indigenous Women or First Nations community and people;
- TS-TW produces content focusing on but not limited to the Indigenous person, people, perspective, place, species, content and world view or women’s stories, perspectives, roles or issues.